- Course Code: UKVC19TAR
- Location: Online
- Duration: 0.75 hours
- Cost: £49.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Teaching Adults to Read Certificate
Adult illiteracy is a huge problem in the UK, with nearly 5.2 million adults being functionally illiterate. Individuals who struggle with literacy tend to have higher rates of unemployment, come from impoverished backgrounds and have a higher rate of incarceration than their peers. Giving the adults in your community this necessary skill is an incredibly rewarding job. Unlike teaching English to primary or secondary school students, it is much easier to get involved with adult literacy programmes in your neighbourhood.
This course gives you an introduction into how to teach literacy to adults. We begin with a discussion about the types of students you are likely to encounter, giving you tips on how to help them succeed in the classroom. We also review methods you can use to teach literacy and include a discussion about the role technology should play in your lessons.
You Will Learn:
- Details about the illiteracy problem facing the UK
- What kind of classroom exercises you can use to reinforce your literacy lessons
- What the essential elements of a literacy programme are
- The six strategies experts recommend using when teaching literacy to adults
- The four strategies you can use to keep your adult learners interested and engaged
Benefits of Taking This Course:
- Understand what is involved in creating a comprehensive and detailed literacy lesson plan
- Learn more about the type of individual you can expect to see in your classroom, including tips on how to boost their chances at success
- If you are currently an adult literacy teacher, learn more about improving classroom engagement and lesson retention
- If you are thinking about volunteering or working as an adult literacy teacher, learn more about the field
- If you have an illiterate adult in your life, learn more about how you can support their efforts in the classroom
Who can take the Teaching Adults to Read Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 1 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 1 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 1 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Teaching Adults to Read Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 0.75 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.