- Course Code: UKFPC16AWA
- Location: Online
- Duration: 2 hours
- Cost: £299.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All modern browsers, windows 7+, flash 10+
Although the UK government banned the use, supply and import of asbestos in 1999, it can still be found in many buildings today. We now know that asbestos causes disease, including cancer, and therefore represents a major health and safety hazard that must be handled with due diligence.
While this course does not qualify you to work with asbestos in a professional capacity, it will provide you with a comprehensive overview of asbestos, its legacy and how you can play your role in protecting yourself and others from its harmful effects.
You Will Learn
- What asbestos is, its history, what it is used for and why its presence is a major health and safety concern.
- The legislation that governs the safe management and handling of asbestos.
- Where you can expect to find asbestos in buildings constructed before 2000 and why some asbestos-containing materials are more dangerous than others.
- The health hazards associated with asbestos, including asbestosis and cancer, and the interaction between asbestos exposure and smoking.
- How employers should prepare for, and respond to, accidents and emergencies involving asbestos.
Benefits of Taking This Course
- You will have a greater understanding of how asbestos may affect you and your colleagues, which is particularly important if your line of work puts you at special risk.
- If your position obliges you to manage or oversee asbestos-related work or maintenance, this course will give you the background knowledge required to seek out appropriate guidance or support to ensure that all work is carried out safely.
- If you are a duty holder, this course will help you meet your obligations under health and safety law.
- You will learn how to deal with asbestos-related incidents and how to help others in the event of an emergency.
- This course will provide you with an insight into one of the most significant workplace health problems of the 20th and 21st centuries, so will benefit anyone interested in occupational health.
Who can take the Asbestos Awareness Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 5 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 5 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 5 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Asbestos Awareness Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 2 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.